The first game of the 2010-2011 season for North Carolina basketball will be in Chapel Hill on November 12 against Lipscomb. Expectations are high that this year's Tar Heels team is an improvement on last year's. They'll be bringing back a group that played 43% of last season's minutes and adding the efforts of 3 Top 100 recruits, including #1 Harrison Barnes. North Carolina has the largest deficiency in rebounding where they lost 64.3% of their output.
Equally as concerning is three point shooting, where they also lost a big 63% of last year's output.
The AP gives the Tar Heels a #8 ranking in their preseason AP Top 25 poll. They weren't ranked in last year's final poll. North Carolina closed out the last season with an overall record of 20-17, placing 9th in the ACC with their 5-11 conference record. The Tar Heels lost to Georgia Tech 62-58 in the ACC tournament. They then went to the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) as a #4 seed, losing in the Championship game to Dayton, 79-68.
The Tar Heels lost Ed Davis to the NBA, picked up by the Toronto Raptors at Round 1, #13.
Furthermore, North Carolina will feel the loss of many of last year's seniors including Marcus Ginyard (30 minutes per game), Deon Thompson (26 MPG), Marc Campbell (2 MPG), and Thomas Thornton (2 MPG). The Tar Heels will also miss Will Graves (24 MPG), Travis Wear (transferred to UCLA), and David Wear (transferred to UCLA).
The Tar Heels welcome back junior Larry Drew II (6.0 assists/game), junior Tyler Zeller (9.3 points/game), sophomore Dexter Strickland (2.0 assists/game), sophomore John Henson (1.6 blocked shots/game), and sophomore Leslie McDonald (3.4 points/game).
North Carolina will work in three Top 100 Recruits this season. Harrison Barnes is a 6-6 forward from Ames, IA and is the #1 ranked recruit in the country. Reggie Bullock is a 6-6 guard from Kinston, NC and ranked #15. Kendall Marshall is a 6-3 guard from Arlington, VA and ranked #25.
The team also gets 6-9 senior Justin Knox (transferred from Alabama).
The Tar Heels will look forward to five games against AP preseason Top 25 teams, including at #13 Illinois on November 30th, #11 Kentucky on December 4th, and #21 Virginia Tech on January 13th. North Carolina will start ACC play on January 8th at Virginia.
Tags: Marcus Ginyard
- UNC has had 6 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2000, UNC has an overall winning percentage of 71.5%. And the Tar Heels have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 78.0%.
- The Tar Heels have an average conference finish of 2.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 14 the team has an average finish of 3.1.
- Over the last 5 seasons, UNC has signed 6 Top 10 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Tar Heels have signed 11 Top 10 players.
- In a 10 year period, UNC has signed 17 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Tar Heels have signed 30 Top 100 players.
- With Ed Davis being drafted last year, that makes 14 UNC players that have been drafted by the NBA in the last 10 years.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 91.8.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Duke (#2).
- And this year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is St. Francis (PA) (#289).
- UNC has 5 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The Tar Heels have been in the Preseason AP Poll 41 times since 1948.
, Deon Thompson
, Marc Campbell
, Thomas Thornton
, James Gallagher
, Terrence Petree
, Will Graves
, Travis Wear
, David Wear
, Larry Drew II
, Tyler Zeller
, Dexter Strickland
, John Henson
, Leslie McDonald
, Justin Knox